Friday, February 18, 2011

Sleep Situation

While some of you may know Berkley's sleep situation, I'd guess that many of you do not. We thought at first that Berkley was following in her big sister's footsteps-- sleeping wonderfully at night. At 2-months of age, Berk was sleeping a 6-7 1/2 hour stretch overnight, which was amazing, especially for a breastfed baby. However, our luck changed right around 3-months.

Berkley started having really severe gas pains overnight causing her to wake FREQUENTLY. It was so rough not only because we had become accustomed to sleeping for much longer periods, but mainly because we wanted to help her and really couldn't do much. After repeated trips to Dr. McKenna in search of answers, we came up with a few possible solutions: 1) gulping in a lot of air when crying (even though we didn't allow her to cry for long periods whatsoever) due to separation anxiety, 2) an issue with my milk's quality, 3) the amount of milk I was producing perhaps wasn't meeting her demands (which came a little later) .

After a few weeks of ruling out these scenarios, we came to find that Berkley was in fact not getting enough milk. However, she continued to wake night after night even after we solved that problem. As she was approaching 8-months (yes, that's right, we dealt with gassy wakings day in and day out for 5 solid months), the gassiness ceased, but the wakings did not. We wondered if it had become a habit of being succored back to sleep and feeling comforted when she woke.

Let me take a step back to explain an aspect of my parenting that I've found differs LARGELY from many other parents' practices and advice. I've never been a proponent of the cry-it-out (CIO) method. Why, you might ask? Well, there are many reasons. First and foremost, I feel that as parents we need to feel comfortable, and the thought of letting any child of mine CIO brought (and still continues to bring) feelings of discomfort. Second, CIO simply doesn't coincide with my personal theory of children. I look at children like little adults, as human beings with real, valid feelings, needs, and desires. In other words, my children, and all children for that matter, are just like you and me. To better understand where I'm coming from, consider this: you are asleep and for some unknown reason you awaken to find yourself alone in the dark, perhaps even disoriented. You call out for your spouse, but he/she doesn't reply. You call again, wondering where they are or what they are doing. Still no response. You begin to feel uneasy, worried, scared, and VERY alone. You cry and continue to call, and still you hear nothing. I would want Chad to respond to me, and I know that he would never leave me to soothe myself back to sleep; therefore, I would never respond to my children in that way.

Well, with Berkley sleeping poorly we continued to pick her up to comfort and "parent" her back to sleep. After a few weeks with little to no success, we decided that we'd try keeping her in the crib and soothing her back to sleep by gentle pats, loving rubs, and quiet "shhh"s. A week into this attempt, we were frustrated that it wasn't working either. We were both tired, at our wits end, and our relationship was suffering. One of us (typically me) was constantly attending to Berkley overnight, which allowed little time for us. I reluctantly called our pediatrician's office and asked one of the nurses what to do. She informed me, as several had done with Chloe, that we should lay her down awake and let her cry, even if she cried until she threw up. What she said next shocks me even to this day: if she did vomit, they advised that we clean her up, clean the bed, and place her back in without any talking or consolation! To me, that sounded inhumane, and I refused to ever let it get to that point. However, we did decide to try CIO.

The first few nights were wonderful! Then we had several bad, a few good, a weeks worth of bad, a couple good, an ok, another good set of bads, one good, and then back to where we had started. This was when I started to truly lose my mind. Not only was this method not helping my sweet baby, I felt absolutely horrible letting her cry without attending her need for me. I know that many could say that she was "manipulating" me, but in my mind she was (and still does every time she cries) communicating a discomfort/fear/or otherwise negative feeling. Chad and I both disliked the feelings we experienced in letting her CIO, so we decided that without the success we were told we would receive that we would change our ways and not let her CIO again.

I can honestly say that we haven't let her cry it out again after those dreadful three weeks! A good friend lent me a copy of The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, which was so helpful and reassuring. I always relish information that meshes well with my philosophies, and her ideas and research most definitely does. She explained that society often has this theory that babies should be sleeping through the night after 2 months. However, she describes that through her research that a mere 5 hour stretch is considered sleeping overnight, despite our preconceived notions. I first read the book and obtained so much comfort from it. We proceeded in our comfort zone and continued to go to Berk when she woke overnight. We've had a MUCH better couple of weeks, though each night is a little different. She's teething now, and it appears as if she's coming down with a cold, which has caused some setbacks. I decided to buy Pantley's book, and as soon as we overcome this cold and the tooth she is cutting, I plan to use her methods for helping Berkley to sleep longer overnight. I'll post an update on her sleeping again in a couple of weeks to explain more if/how her gentle methods have helped Berkley. Wish us luck!!

Over a year ago, Chad brought this interesting handout home from his Priesthood meeting at church titled Babies deserve humane care from parents. It was written by Valerie Hudson, a researcher at the BYU Family Studies Center. She affords the example of a teething 10-month-old (not far off from my own situation) who wakes numerous times at night and a mother who continually goes to comfort him. She explains that doing so has "taught him a profound lesson in humane behavior." She continues, saying, "How we treat our infants and toddlers is the foundation of their value system. It is a powerful act of communication about the most important matters of life." She adds that researchers have found that the way in which parents treat and respond to them allows children to "... form a conception of God. As you can imagine, children in the study believed God was like their parents, and that God's behavior and feelings toward themselves was fundamentally the same as their parents' behavior and feelings toward them."

What she says next is truly why I go to my kids when they wake in the night upset, afraid, or otherwise uncomfortable: "So, at 3:45 a.m., your 10-month old is learning about life, God, and about you. Can I trust my Mom or Dad to come when I am in pain, even though I have cried out many times already? Will God respond when I am in pain, even though I have called on him repeatedly? Or does loving response wear thin after a while?" I know that despite the number of times you call on Heavenly Father that He will respond, and that the Spirit will be there to comfort and guide you. As parents here on Earth, we are responsible for these sweet, tender little spirits who came to us from God to receive a body and a life here with our families. It is our duty to look after them as God looks after all of His children, with love, care, and compassion.

I hope that his post hasn't bored any of you; I figure if you lost interest it was a LONG time ago and you stopped reading anyway :-) I just felt the need to get out all of my feelings about our sleep situation with Berkley and explain how I parent a little differently than many people, including trusted doctors and family members alike. If I've learned anything from my education and becoming a parent, as a mother, father, grandparent, or caretaker of young children, you HAVE to feel comfortable with the manners in which you deal with those children in both positive and so-called negative situations. Take comfort, look to the Lord, and, one of the most important messages here, LOVE your children :-)

6 comments:

Tina Hatch said...

I couldn't agree more! I am NOT a fan of CIO. It boils my blood to hear that your Dr. told you to do that to Burkley if she pukes, that is just awfull and CRUEL! Baby's cry for a reason! They get lonely and scared too. I personly dont have my baby's in another room until they are at the age of 2. I have had much success with this. My baby's are always right by my side, close enouph i can hold there hand if they are in need of comfort, or a pull into my bed if he/she is in need of some snuggling :) My kids have always slept beautifully. My mom was a snuggler too so i guess thats where i get it from. I lOVE it and would NOT have it any other way, i am just as attached to my baby's and they are to me. <3
I think you are a great mom! Just keep loving her to peices. LOVE cures everything, your dr. doesn't know what she is talking about. We all need to look to our heavenly Father in prayer each and every day for guidence on everything! Including parenting! HE is our physician. Know body knows better than him.
Lots of love Jen, great job! love your blog! :)

Aneesa Bee said...

Jen,
what a wonderful blog post.I really enjoyed peeking into your brain for a bit. I couldn't agree with you more on your parenting philosophies--I strongly believe that the way we parent our children when they are young teaches them so much about love and how it works--and builds our relationships (whether good or not so good) for the rest of their lives. I keep reminding myself of this when things are frustrating--"I'm building a relationship that we'll need later" I'm so glad that that book helped you a little--but sorry you have had to go through so much! BUT LOOK AT how much you've learned!! Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Thank you so much, Tina! Nothing gives a mom more of a boost than to hear someone say that they are a great mom :-) I think that it is important to note that it was not my doctor who recommended this, but it was several of his nurses that I have spoken to over the course of Chloe and Berkley's infancies. I think this is where I should reiterate the concept of being comfortable as a parent. I know many people who do let their children CIO and many who do not. Are parents who choose to let their children CIO bad, uncaring parents? I absolutely DO NOT think so. I know A LOT of compassionate parents who feel comfortable with those strategies, which is what is most important. If we can't feel like competent parents, then what can we show for ourselves? I think I'm speaking correctly when I say that my brother and I did CIO- so, does that make my Mom a bad, insensitive Mom? No, it does not in any realm. Her comfort level is different than mine. And that is OK. I just wanted to show the other side, which in my experiences is far less utilized.

And thank you, Aneesa! I loved what you said about how we have to remind ourselves that how we react now will have an effect on later relationships! It couldn't be MORE true. Keeping that in mind will be beneficial for ALL parents and people interacting with infants and toddlers!

Jen said...

Oh, and how could I forget to respond about our pediatrician?!? He is a wonderful doctor. I trust him very much, and I truly believe that he cares dearly about my children! The fact that I disagree with him in some aspects (as most people do with other people) does not under any circumstance make him a BAD doctor. In fact, it was when I was at one of the lowest points with Berkley that he helped me through. He said that he didn't want me to lose hope, but that it looked like I was. He was incredibly right! He went on to say that hope is the sister to faith, and he referred me to a verse in Psalms that explained just that. Coming home to read that reinforced my trust in him; he wasn't simply looking out for Berkley's well-being, but he was looking out for me spiritually!

Tina Hatch said...

Oh Jen, i was NOT trying to get a cross that i thought people who did CIO were BAD PARENTS! Not in the least! Do i think that. I have several friends who do so and i do not think less of them at ALL. Infact they have had much success with it. Its like you said, "its what YOU feel comfortable with as a parent". Its a very individual thing. I was upset about the advice of your nurse, when it came to the throwing up part.
Please dont think for one minute that i am a Doctor hater. I am So thankfull for them. I may not have my baby's in the hospital but that does NOT mean i dont think Doctors have there place, becouse i most certanly think they do! I just feel most comfortable at home when having MY baby's. :)

I truly am glad that you have found such a wounderfull Doctor for you and your sweet family. Good luck with Berkley, hope things start to go more smoothly for ya.

Jen said...

Thank you so much, Tina! We have been having a lot more success with Berkley the last couple of weeks, and Chad & I feel SO much more comfortable with our parenting practices!

I hope that you didn't take my comment in response to yours negatively; I wasn't implying that you thought that whatsoever! But, I did want to clarify that it was the nurses and that the way in which different parents respond to their infants at night is not an indicator of whether or not they are good parents or bad parents. And I really couldn't agree with you more- in my opinion, letting a child cry to the point of vomiting makes me sick.

Thanks again for your comments, and sorry if I came across harshly, it definitely was not my intent!