Saturday, September 11, 2010

Time passes

Ok, so you all know by now that I don't typically post without pictures included, but I guess in my boredom without Chad (who will hopefully be bringing home an elk/deer) I decided to post this nonetheless.

One of my favorite things in the world, as odd as it may sound, is to simply observe Chloe. Observation is one of the best ways to know what children know, which, given my educational background, would explain why I enjoy it so much. Chloe is one of the most amazing two-year-olds I know, but of course I'm biased! I've watched her language blossom (and when I say blossom I mean enormously), her understanding of the world around her grow, her hone fine motor skills largely through an array of art activities, her conquer the art of sommersaults and jumping, and so much more. I've loved every minute of it, and I totally look forward to watching Berkley do the same.

Yesterday while I was showing Berkley a simple book with pictures and labels, Chloe piped in to tell Berkley all about the pictures. She turned the page to a picture of shoes with the word "shoes" beneath it. Chloe said, "Mommy it says s h o e s. It says shoes! I did it!" She also drew a few pictures of apples and various other fruits with their accompanying labels. When I say labels I mean that she engaged in emerging writing, making zig-zag like scribbles that look like writing. She knows that her name starts with a 'c,' as well as mommy, daddy, and Berkley. She can write the letter 'C,' though it is usually backwards (which, by the way, is actually very normal). She paints beautiful pictures using a brush, though she likes to paint her feet and hands from time to time. The other day she figured out how to do and undo buttons, and she mastered zippers nearly a year ago. She has a crazy imagination, loves to sing and dance, adores swinging, likes to clean and fold laundry, is a girlie girl and a tomboy all at once. Wow-- she is so amazing and never ceases to amaze me.

What really gets me is seeing her with Berkley: she simply adores her. She thinks she's funny and fabulous, which she definitely is, and is constantly giggling at her.

I've had a bit of a difficult time having two-- it was much more than I ever expected in ways both good and bad. I love both my girls so much, and it's so great that they are different in their very own ways! As I was holding Berkley tonight before I laid her down to bed I remembered Chloe when she was that size. It's hard to believe that she's so big today. With two children it's been difficult trying to give them both the love and attention I would like to give. I feel bad because often Berkley's need and dependency overrule what Chloe may want/need (i.e. playing), but I know that this too will pass as Berk grows older. I just miss holding Chloe and snuggling with her like I did when she was little. Sure, we still do, but not as much as I'd like. Time passes so fast, and I pray that I will hold onto every moment I get to love, hold, kiss, and cuddle my girls!

No comments: