Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sewing projects

After visiting a store in Bountiful called Sassy Babies, I decided that I would rather take a shot at making fabric flower hair clips rather than spend $14 for one (especially considering the fact that I already have a bunch of plain hair clips and a bunch of scrap fabric. Making this type of flower with a fabric covered button proved more difficult that the pattern I found made it sound, but it did turn out cute and MUCH cheaper than buying one :-)
After trying the traditional fabric flower, I decided to try making a frayed flower that I found a pattern for online. This flower was far easier to make, not to mention less time consuming. And a huge thanks to my fabulous husband who hot glued the ribbon and flowers to the clips! These were both fun to make, so I will likely be making some more (mostly for Berkley though because Chloe doesn't always like to have things in her hair). Oh, and if you're wondering what we'll do if she doesn't have much hair, I bought a white stretchy headband with a place in the middle to interchange hair clips.
Here is a close up of the nursing apron/cover that I've only been working on for like three weeks! As you can see (hopefully), there are two straps, one with D rings to tighten the other to the right length to fit around the neck. In between the two straps it looks like it bows out and that's because it's supposed to! I used corset bonning to create a little peek-a-boo view to see the baby while nursing. I've never known anyone who has had one, but I had complaints with blankets and so has EVERYONE else I've known. Hopefully this will be more helpful!
A full length view of the apron-- I feel obligated to say that I can once again be proud of my frugal ways since buying one of these costs anywhere between $35-$60! I made this one for barely over $10! YAY for saving money, but still having those little things you've always wanted :-)




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way cute flowers! I need to learn how to make those..I'm always buying mine, and I'm sure Jeff would appreciate if I learned how to make them. :)